Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Music is an agreeable harmony for the honor of God and the permissible delights of the soul.
- I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.
- There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
- I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well.
- Harmony is next to Godliness.
- Where there is devotional music, God is always at hand with His gracious presence.
- Face to the reality.
- God’s gift to his sorrowing creatures is a joy worthy of their destiny.
- If I decide to be an idiot, then I’ll be an idiot of my own accord.