This blog is where Debra shares her thoughts and ideas about her compositional journey and all things music-related, but it also features recordings of her more recent compositions and some of the fascinating stories behind her works.
Instrumentalists and Singers alike enjoy preparing and performing Dr. Lynn’s compositions:
- “Debra Lynn’s music demonstrates not only technical mastery, but also an emotional message. She has a special power to stir our feelings. Some composers’ music shows skill, but leaves us cold. Debra really has something to say. There is interest, and heart too.” George Donner, oboist
- “Debra’s music balances the beauty of melodic line and solid harmonic architecture to serve one purpose: story-telling. Her music is always expressive, whether tonal or more angular.” Daniel Belcher, Grammy-winning operatic baritone
- “Debra Lynn’s music is very playable, but not without some challenges! I do enjoy her musical style. I especially like when Debra’s sense of humor peeks through; sometimes with nothing more than the ‘Ting!’ of a triangle placed at just the right moment.” Linda Kummernuss, violinist
- “I do not have the words to describe what a pleasure it is to be in collaboration with Dr. Lynn. Her music is modern, tasteful, and wonderful to listen to, and she also understands the unique requirements of the dance medium, thus making her compositions a perfect match for movement. Audience reviews of our collaborations together are always positive, and the community looks forward to seeing more MDT projects with Dr. Lynn, and so do we!” David Mikautadze, music director of Mikautadze Dance Theatre
- “I have had many opportunities to perform Debra’s works and it is always a privilege. These range from small chamber works, choral compositions with string obligato, to works for full orchestra and chorus. One of the best things about Debra is that she is always ready to compose for any occasion, and any organization.” Elizabeth Smith, violinist and concertmaster of Manchester Symphony Orchestra
Check back here from time to time to see new blog posts as well as updates on Debra’s completed works, new and ongoing projects, performances and premieres. Follow this site (see upper right corner) if you would like to receive e-mail notices of updates and new posts. If you would like to commission a new piece from Debra, please use the contact tab in the menu above.
For a detailed bio, click here: Debra Lynn Bio
Debra’s compositions are published by Santa Barbara Music and Manchester Music, LLC. They are all distributed by JWPepper and can be ordered at this link: https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/search.jsp?keywords=Debra+Lynn
Follow Debra on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/OperaDoctor or Instagram as: operadoctor